10.18.2005

Got angry in the library

Is it just me, or aren't libraries supposed to be quiet? These janitor-type guys and one woman who looked like a guy were making a racket in the stacks today. Shouting, laughing, even singing. I was trying to finish a paper, but couldn't concentrate. So I packed up my bag and went searching for the culprits. When I found them, I approached and asked, "Excuse me, is this the libary?" They looked at me kind of funny and said, "Yes."

And I said, "Well, you wouldn't know it from the way you all are talking so loud."

This big black guy with a blind-looking eye then tells me, "You mind your own business. You do what you have to do, we'll do what we have to do."

Mind my own business? I thought. Do what I am supposed to do? I am supposed to be studying, since I am a grad student, and the library is supposed to be my place to do it.

I went up to the main counter, asked for a supervisor and made a complaint. Not that I think anything will change. I've noticed library staff walking through the library, talking at full volume. And other students answer their cell phones.

Now excuse me if I sound like an uptight bastard, but where are the library monitors? Where the hell is the old school librarian who always said, "Shush!" and made you feel ashamed for even breathing too loud?

This country is falling apart, and it's sad to think that so-called higher places of learning can't even maintain any high standards of manners anymore.