12.26.2007

Akihabara Curry Shop

I ate lunch yesterday at one of the branches of Akiba Curry, a curry rice shop in Akihabara, the famous electronics and assorted geek fetishes district near the office where I work. After I sat down, a bowl of three unshelled hard-boiled eggs was placed on the counter in front of me, and the waiter told me that the eggs were "all-you-can-eat." Which got me wondering. . . how many hard-boiled eggs could I eat? It's one thing if you are only going to have a lunch of hard-boiled eggs, but it's another thing if you are supposed to eat a bowl of curry and rice on top of that. In "Cool Hand Luke" Paul Newman didn't bet that he could eat so many hard-boiled eggs AND a plate of curry rice. In the end, I just ate two eggs as an appetizer, let the third one sit in the stainless steel bowl, and didn't exercise my right to free refills.

2 comments:

  1. Mike: I can eat fifty eggs and a bowl of Japanese curry.
    Dragline: Nobody can eat fifty eggs and a bowl of Japanese curry.
    Society Red: You just said he could eat anything.
    Dragline: Did you ever eat fifty eggs and a bowl of Japanese curry?
    Mike: Nobody ever eat fifty eggs AND a bowl of Japanese curry.
    Prisoner: Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here.
    Dragline: My boy says he can eat fifty eggs and a bowl of Japanese curry, he can eat fifty eggs and a bowl of Japanese curry.
    Loudmouth Steve: Yeah, but in how long?
    Mike: A hour.
    Society Red: Well, I believe I'll take part of that wager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comment got me laughing. Are those the names of the guys in the movie? Or did you make that up?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here or send me an email via the contact link.